The difference between sonogram and ultrasound
The word sonogram vs ultrasound commonly used for same thing. There is a difference between them:
- An Ultrasound is a tool to take pictures.
- A sonogram refer to image generated ultrasound.
- Sonography refers to the use of an ultrasound instrument for diagnostic purposes.
In other words, an ultrasound is a method, and the sonogram is the end product.
Sonogram or Sonography is a non-invasive procedure that is painless. It utilizes high frequency sound waves also known as ultrasound waves. Its used to produce images of soft tissues, organs, blood vessels, as well as the flow of blood within the body. These images used for medical research.
Following the x-ray examinations. Equally important, ultrasound is the most commonly and widely used method of diagnose image. It also allows doctors to gain insight into the inner workings of the body like Sonogram. To conclude, below mentions:
- Radiation free
- Accessible to everyone
Below are difference between Sonogram vs Ultrasound
Sonogram, also known as an ultrasonogram. It is the visual image generate during ultrasound examination.
Sonogram refer to a medical train person to diagnose ultrasound based technology. They provide doctors detailed images of what’s happening inside the bodies of patients.
How does ultrasound work?
In a word, Ultrasounds make use of high frequency sound waves which are absorbed into the body, and bounce (echo) off tissues and organs. Echoes create electrical signals which are then translated by computers to create pictures of the organs and tissues. After ultrasound and Sonogram definition here is the variations of ultrasound.
The variations of ultrasound are:
- Doppler Ultrasound used to observe blood flow blood flow into the blood vessels and in heart.
- Elastography used to distinguish cancerous tissue from healthy tissue.
- Bone sonography used to measure bone density.
- Therapeutic ultrasound used to warm or break down tissues.
- High intensity concentrated ultrasound (HIFU) used to remove or modify abnormal tissue of the body without open the skin.
Similarly most ultrasounds done with a transducer beside Sonogram. The transducer place on the skin’s surface for inside image. In addition, a more accurate diagnosis image is created through the introduction of an ultrasound transducer. Transducer specifically designed to insert into the body.
- The transvaginal ultrasound makes use of the transducer wand put in the vagina of women to obtain photographs of her uterus as well as Ovaries.
- Transrectal ultrasound often used to diagnose prostate problems.
- Echocardiogram of the ransesophageal region utilizes an transducer probe inside the esophagus for pictures of your heart.
Read Also: 16 Week Ultrasound What to Expect
However, in the process of confirm the pregnancy Ultrasound most commonly used by doctors rather than Sonogram.
Doctor’s identify the condition of the soft tissues and organs of the body through Ultrasound image not Sonogram image. After that here is the list of different types diagnoses refer to ultrasound.
- blood vessels
In addition, sound waves cannot be transmitted well through the areas that could hold air or gas (such as the intestines) or in areas that are which are blocked by dense bone. Of course above said procedures have some limitations to diagnosis with ultrasounds.
Procedures for medical use
If a doctor has the removal of tissue in a specific area of the body, for example, the case of a needle biopsy ultrasound imaging may help in vision direction.
Ultrasound used for diagnose and treatment of specific soft tissue’s injuries.
Final conclusion about Sonogram vs Ultrasound
Finally, Ultrasound refers to the process using sound waves to produce images inside the body. Sonograms are the images produced from an ultrasound examination.
To summarize, ultrasound refer to a safe and inexpensive imaging technology that assist a doctor to make assessment of organs and soft tissues in the body.